By Nancy Bell | Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation
Like the house next door (to the east), the two-story, three-bay townhouse at 1312 Grove St. was built by Samuel Feld in 1886 for rental purposes.
William Stanton, the architect, also designed this one, and it was built by Curphey and Mundy for $3,050. When completed, it was the home of Hannah and Alfred Leon Fischel, an accountant at Baer and Brothers and later Adolph Rose and Company, and Victor and Rosalie Brown, Hannah’s parents.
Victor was born in Essingen, Germany. and came to Vicksburg before the Civil War and started the good dry company of Brown and Brothers. In 1884, with Adolph Rose, he established the wholesale dry goods firm A. Rose and Company.
On his death in 1911, the Herald reported that “Mr. and Mrs. Brown were a peculiarly devoted couple and were lovers from the time of their youth until death finally broke the sweet bond between them. The deceased gentleman was a quiet and unostentatious citizen, who sought no honor, but was content to gain the goodwill and respect of his fellows and to succeed in his business ventures. He was a member of the Knights of Honor, the Free Sons of Israel and the IOBB”
Rosalie continued to live in the house after her husband’s death, then moved with her daughter to their new home on Cherry Street which Alfred Fischel built in 1912.
In January 1913, Fischel was elected to the Warren County Board of Supervisors. He died a few months into his term in 1913 of “acute indigestion”.
In 1914, the Grove Street house was the home of Alfred and Mamie Davis. He was a freight agent at the Y and MV Railroad. Many people lived in the house in the years that followed until it was purchased and rehabilitated by Bill Longfellow in the 1980s.