The Russian assault on Mariupol will be remembered for “centuries to come”, Zelenskyy said.
Russian bombings devastated the city, targeting schools, maternity hospitals and a movie theatre.
Some 4,000 residents of Mariupol managed to leave for Zaporizhzhia, Zelenskyy said.
The brutal assault on the city of Mariupol in Ukraine will be remembered for “centuries to come”, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned on Sunday.
“Besieged Mariupol will go down in history as a perpetrator of war crimes. The terror the occupiers inflicted on the peaceful city will be remembered for centuries,” Zelenskyy said in a video address on Telegram.
Mariupol, located in southeastern Ukraine, was the target of a brutal assault that devastated homes, schools and maternity wards in the city. Some residents have been housed for weeks and many are without food, water or electricity.
Last week, Russian forces bombed a cinema in the town where more than 1,000 civilians were sheltering. On Friday, authorities reported that 130 people had been rescued from the theater while 1,300 remained trapped. The number of victims is unknown.
Multiple attempts at humanitarian corridors and ceasefires failed, although they were agreed with the Russians.
“The more Ukrainians tell the world about it, the more support we will find. The more Russia uses terror against Ukraine, the more serious the consequences will be for it,” Zelenskyy said on Sunday.
Estimates of the number of Russian military dead have varied widely. Zelenskyy said on Sunday that more than 14,000 Russian soldiers had died. US intelligence estimated last week that 7,000 of the 150,000 Russian troops involved in the war were dead.
The Ukrainian president added on Sunday that eight humanitarian corridors were operating effectively on Saturday, helping to rescue 6,623 people across the country.
“More than 4,000 residents of Mariupol managed to leave for Zaporizhzhia,” he said.
Read the original article on Business Insider